headerHOME
OutlineViewpointExhibition roomEventsInformationUse guide

Exhibition room

Treasures of Seisonkaku

Seisonkaku was built in 1863 by Maeda Nariyasu, the 13th Lord of the Kaga clan as a retirement house for his mother Takako Takatsukasa. The villa whose previous name was "Tatsumi-goten," is the embodiment of his consideration for her. It is said that Nariyasu often paid a visit to her during the seven years she spent in the villa, crossing Kenroku-en, one of the three most beautiful gardens in Japan. The Maeda family kept an extensive collection of dolls displayed at the Girls' Festival, each of which represents their wives and daughters. For a long time they were kept in a storehouse with thick mortar walls in Kanazawa Castle. Despite the fact that many of them were scattered around during wartime and by natural disasters, Takako took great care of them, so we can still appreciate a range of famous works today. The gosho dolls with large heads and dainty features were made in order to wish for the well-being of children, keep evil spirits away and bring good luck. Hailed as the masterpieces of Japanese dolls, more than 200 whitewashed dolls that the villa houses are very expressive and graceful. The costumes worn by wives range from outerwear, a kimono with short sleeves, an unlined summer kimono, a nightgown to an obi (a broad sash around the waist of a kimono). The gorgeous patterns, embroideries and designs show different periods of time.



Hina Dolls
Three Shelves
mage substituting dolls
Crawling (Haihai) Dolls
Embroidered Costume on Pale Blue Crepe
Special Quilt

It to be able to be seeing of details by clicking the name or the photograph of the above-mentioned owning goods.


footer